Eric R. Fearon, M.D., Ph.D
Emanuel N. Maisel Professor of Oncology,
Professor of Internal Medicine,
Professor of Pathology, and
Professor of Human Genetics
Chief, Division of Molecular Medicine & Genetics
Molecular analysis of human cancer pathogenesis; β-catenin-dependent Wnt signaling; transgenic and knockout mouse models of colorectal cancer; miRNAs and cancer; CDX2 homeobox gene function; factors and mechanisms regulating tissue stem cells and cell fate determination in intestinal epithelium.
The research in the Fearon laboratory seeks to address the means by which specific oncogene and tumor suppressor gene defects contribute to the pathogenesis of colon and other cancers and to develop novel strategies for early detection and treatment of colorectal adenomas and carcinomas.
1. Bommer GT, Feng Y, Iura A, Giordano TJ, Kuick R, Kadikoy H, Sikorski D, Wu R, Cho KR, Fearon ER. IRS1 regulation by Wnt/β-catenin signaling and varied contribution of IRS1 to the neoplastic phenotype. J Biol Chem 2010, 285:1928-38. PMC2804351.
2. Miller SJ, Joshi BP, Feng, Y, Gaustad A, Fearon ER, Wang TD. In vivo fluorescence-based endocopic detection of colon dysplasia in the mouse using a novel peptide probe. PLoS One 2011, 6:e17384. PMC3050896.
3. Feng Y, Bommer GT, Zhao J, Green M, Sands E, Zhai Y, Brown K, Burberry A, Cho KR, Fearon ER. Mutant Kras promotes hyperplasia and altered differentiation in colon epithelium but does not expand the presumptive crypt stem cell pool. Gastroenterology 2011, 141:1003-13.e10. PMC3163826.
4. Feng Y, Sentani K, Wiese A, Sands E, Green M, Bommer GT, Cho KR, Fearon ER. Sox9 induction, ectopic Paneth cells, and mitotic spindle axis defects in mouse colon adenomatous epithelium arising from conditional biallelic Apc inactivation. Am J Pathol 2013, 183:493-503. PMC3730784
5. Zeller J, Turbiak AJ, Powelson IA, Lee S, Sun D, Showalter HD, Fearon ER. Investigation of 3-aryl-pyrimido(5,4-e]triazine-5,7-diones as small molecule antagonists of beta-catenin/TCF transcription. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2013, Sep 7. pii: S0960-894X(13)01060-3. doi: 10.1016/j.bmcl.2013.08.111.