Eric R Fearon, M.D., Ph.D
Emanuel N. Maisel Professor of Oncology,
Professor of Internal Medicine,
Professor of Pathology, and
Professor of Human Genetics
Molecular analysis of cancer pathogenesis; β-catenin-dependent Wnt signaling; transgenic and knockout mouse models of colon cancer; miRNAs and cancer; CDX2 homeobox gene function
The research in the Fearon laboratory seeks to address the means by which specific oncogene and tumor suppressor gene defects contribute to the pathogenesis of colon and other cancers and to develop novel strategies for early detection and treatment of colorectal carcinomas.
1. Bommer GT, Gerin I, Feng Y, Kaczorowski AJ, Kuick R, Love RE, Zhai Y, Giordano TJ, Qin ZS, Moore BB, MacDougald OA, Cho KR, Fearon ER. p53-mediated activation of miRNA34 candidate tumor suppressor genes. Current Biol 2007, 17:1298-1307.
2. Hinoi T, Akyol A, Theisen BK, Ferguson DO, Greenson JK, Williams BO, Cho KR, Fearon ER. Mouse model of colonic adenoma-carcinoma progression based on somatic Apc inactivation. Cancer Res 2007, 67:9721-30.
3. Akyol A, Hinoi T, Feng Y, Bommer GT, Glaser TM, Fearon ER. Generating somatic mosaicism with a Cre recombinase-microsatellite sequence transgene. Nature Methods 2008, 5:225-6. PMC2279183.
4. Bommer GT, Feng Y, Iura A, Giordano TJ, Kuick R, Kadikoy H, Sikorski D, Wu R, Cho KR, Fearon ER. IRS1 regulation by Wnt/β-catenin signaling and varied contribution of IRS1 to the neoplastic phenotype. J Biol Chem 2010, 285:1928-38. PMID: 19843521. PMC2804351.
5. Miller SJ, Joshi BP, Feng, Y, Gaustad A, Fearon ER, Wang TD. In vivo fluorescence-based endocopic detection of colon dysplasia in the mouse using a novel peptide probe. PLoS One 2011, 6:e17384.
6. Feng Y, Bommer GT, Zhao J, Green M, Sands E, Zhai Y, Brown K, Burberry A, Cho KR, Fearon ER. Mutant Kras promotes hyperplasia and altered differentiation in colon epithelium but does not expand the presumptive crypt stem cell pool. Gastroenterology 2011, in press.